May 2, 2007

We're All Narcissistic

A recent article and study determined Generation Y to be more narcissistic and self absorbed than any previous generation.

The Narcissistic Personality Inventory asked students to respond to statements such as "I like to be the center of attention" and "If I ruled the world, it would be a better place."

The study concluded that students of 2006 were much more self centered than students of 1982.

I'm not sure I buy this. Can researchers truly determine that my generation has a bigger ego than our predecessors?

Individualism and self absorption are characteristics of modernity, which began in the late 18th century. These are traits have encompassed our entire society for years.

Sure, I agree narcissism is a characteristic of my generation; however, technology has simply given us means of expressing ourselves quickly and easily. YouTube, Facebook, MySpace and Blogger give sociologists written, recorded and visual evidence of our self absorption.

In the past, autobiographies, paintings and theater were used to express internal human characteristics, but these arts took time and talent.

These days it only takes computer and an hour or two to publicly express our innate human qualities. Maybe these tools are making humans more narcissistic, but look at it this way:

We're advancing modernity, or perhaps defining another period in history. Blog on my friends, blog on!