May 19, 2007

There's too much hugging going on!

I have to admit, the free hugs video on YouTube made me tear up the first few times I saw it. It's a touching and inspirational video, but now it's lost the sentimental value for me. I've seen the video posted on Facebook dozens of times, I've watched it with groups of friends, given free hugs to the guys on campus, seen a crew of free huggers in Portland, and even seen the video played at church on Sunday morning. It's being played over and over, and the sentiment is dying with every viewing. Check out the video below:



The guys who give free hugs on the U of O campus are friends of mine. Of course, I'll stop by and give them a hug. I love supporting them and hope they continue to give hugs. It's not that I don't like hugs.

Just last weekend, I went up to the Saturday Market in Portland and was bombarded with more free hugs signs. Thanks to YouTube, free hugs are everywhere, which is great--until I see those signs everywhere I go.

My concern is that I'm becoming numb to the gesture. It's not original anymore. It's the same feeling I have to an over played song on the radio. Once that song comes on three times in one hour, I never really want to hear it again.

Is YouTube and other online resources killing all sentiment and creativity? We all have access to the same music, the same videos, the same blogs. Will our difficult cultures and communities become all the same because we are virtually connected? Or will they become more diverse?

I suppose only time will tell.